# of Positions: 1
Twin Cairns Req ID: 202313667
Field School Required: No
Location: United States, VA, Richmond
Gray & Pape, a national cultural resources management (CRM) firm, is seeking a Senior Principal Investigator – Archaeology to join our Richmond, Virginia office. The expected salary range is $77,286-$104,564, based on experience and qualifications, as a full-time, regular status, exempt employee. Gray & Pape offers a hybrid work environment with built-in flexibility that includes 2 days in the office per week.
Summary of the Role
The Principal Investigator-Archaeology is responsible for conducting and overseeing all aspects of archaeological studies. This includes archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental research; literature reviews/desktop assessments; archaeological reconnaissance and due diligence surveys; Phase I archeological surveys; Phase II archaeological testing and evaluation; Phase III archaeological excavation, data recovery, and mitigation; archaeological, cultural, and historical artifact and laboratory analysis; preparation of archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental contexts; preparation of a variety of archaeological documentation and technical reports; and preparing artifacts and records for curation.
1. M.A./M.S. in Anthropology, Archaeology, or closely related field.
2. 5 years CRM supervisory and lead author CRM report preparation experience.
3. Qualified to register as an RPA with the Register of Professional Archaeologists.
4. Familiarity with field geospatial software such as ESRI ArcMap and Google Earth.
5. Technological skills: ESRI Survey 123 and Field Maps, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat.
6. Traditional and digital mapping, including total station and GPS-based mapping skills; photography; survey techniques; and excavation techniques.
7. Ability to analyze data such as statistical analysis, material culture analysis, and geomorphological analysis.
8. Comprehensive understanding of the legal framework of CRM.
9. Excellent understanding of National Register of Historic Places Criteria and their application.
10. Experience directing field crews.
11. Demonstrable report writing experience.
12. Experience working within report templates and following style guides.
13. Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and tasks concurrently.
14. Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate work within schedule and budget constraints.
15. Demonstrated ability to independently design and complete research.
16. Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
17. Display curiosity and respect for others’ perspectives and strengths.
18. Commitment to promoting equity and inclusion.
19. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
1. Experience with GIS software.
Travel is project-dependent with an expectation of travel outside the local area and for multiple days. Some projects may require extended travel.
Gray & Pape offers a competitive pay and benefits package, including paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. A complete job description is available upon request.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit the following to Charity Kys, HR Director, at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
This position is open until filled and qualified candidates may be interviewed immediately. Please visit us at https://www.graypape.com/our-company/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law. Please contact HR to request an accommodation.
See Job Post
Job Experience Length (in years)
5 years of CRM supervisory and lead author CRM report preparation experience.
Driving Licence Required?
Access to Reliable Vehicle?
Qualified to register as an RPA with the Register of Professional Archaeologists.
Anticipated Start Date
Dec 13, 2023